It's More Fun in The Philippines

It's More Fun in The Philippines
Love our time doing Mission Work in the Philippines

Sunday, April 17, 2011

OUR LAST WEEKEND FOR THIS CAMPAIGN

FRIDAY, APRIL 15, 2011
Got up early and did some studying as we began our last weekend in the Philippines on this campaign. We left Lisland Resort at about 8 AM after breakfast and headed to San Carlos City to work with Jeff up there. It is about an hour from Urdaneta and when we arrive we were warmly welcomed and after a period of singing I spoke on Paul, Barnabas and John Mark. Following my lesson Chris spoke also. It was a 2 day gospel meeting for them and there were about 35 present including the workers from the Urdaeta and Binalonan churches. After Chris spoke there was a question and answer period after which they hosted a wonderful native lunch of barbqued chicken, rice and native veggies.
 Following lunch, Arnold, Dana, Dinah, Irish and Dale took me to Bayanbang to deliver some eye glasses and to give me chance to see the congregation where JR, a recent graduate of PTC was preaching. When we arrived we looked at the building and discussed with JR the progress and his plans. The new congregation has about as dozen members. At 2 PM he said he had a Bible study scheduled and asked me to teach it. We all went there and after about 1 1/4 hours with two ladies both said the wanted to be baptized. One then stated that the man she was living with was an alcoholic and even though he didn't go to church anywhere, he did not want her to either. After talking to her for an extended period it became evident she was scared and did not want to that day. We took the other lady to a resort and I baptized her in a swimming pool with another curious crowd watching.
After the study we returned to Lisland to rest and change about 4:30 and get ready to attend Arnold and Dana's 22nd Anniversary Party at a native seafood house. We got there , fashionably late, and Roger and Lisa came in. I had a very nice visit with them while I feasted on bangus belly and fried calamari! As we let I invited Roger to come down again at San Carlos City. He agreed and I went to sleep that night full of wonderful food and great memories. I look forward to a great day tomorrow!
SATURDAY, April 16, 2011
At 8 AM after a good breakfast, I headed with Celine driving me to San Carlos City to preach twice in the 2nd day of their gospel meeting while Chris was taken by Susan to Carmen to meet brother Panday and conduct a Bible study there. I spoke twice and a 61 year old man, Orlando responded to the gospel. Chris had studied with him on Friday and now he is a brother. We took him to a resort and he was buried with Christ in baptism by me just before noon.
We went back to San Carlos City and had lunch then headed out to two more Bible studies. One was interesting because the house had a videoke machine and they put Chris on the porch speaking into that for the whole neighborhood to hear :)
We then went to a rural area where I taught the study for two ladies, a mother and daughter, who also had a small baby. After the study with Roger interpreting, the mother said she was ready but could not leave hr daughter and the baby so I hope that Jeff can follow up with her on Monday. It was really great to get to be with Roger again. He is one of my oldest and dearest friends in the Philippines and after we returned to Urdaneta, he and I ate at Chow King and talked about old times and current situations. When we got back to the room the summer heat seemed to have taken its toll on two tired Americans. I met Chris in the restaurant and drank some water and visited with him while he ate, but I was tired! I showered and was in bed by about 9:00 PM after a phone call to Jamie and Mom and Dad.
SUNDAY, April 17, 2011
I woke up at 5:00 AM to leave to go with JM to the San Carlos Prison at 6:30 AM, so I thought...at about 7:10 I got a text back and found out that Celine and Benny were going to take Chris at 7:30 to San Carlos to preach and Susan, JM and I would follow them to San Carlos City. That turned out to be a real good idea since Benny and Celine's truck broke down in Malasiqui in the middle of town..so on Palm Sunday at 8:30 AM, right as Mass is letting out from a big Catholic church, two Americans and 3 Filipinos are pushing a truck down the middle of the main street and there are so many tricycles there that we have to push it about 1/4 mile before there is a place to park it. Itwas indeed an event for that town! So after we determined that it wasn't going to start, Benny and Celine stayed with the truck and we put Chris and Richard in with us.We head to the San Carlos building to drop off Chris and Richard for him to preach. We get them there at 9:05 and headed the San Carlos Prison.
When we get there, we go in and I see my old friend, Boyette. He was one of the first converts 5 years ago when he was at Dagupan City Jail. He and his wife were charged with Illegal Recruitment and sentenced to 8-12 years. (if they gave out sentences like that in the SEC, they might shut down some programs:) Any way he and Pearl were transferred to San Carlos last August so it was good to get to see him. He is like a jail minister in jail and we studied with and baptized his mother and son 4 years ago. JM taught the Bible class and I spoke on Lessons from a Prison from Acts 16. 4 men responded to the gospel and it took a little negotiation by Susan, JM and Boyette but the deputy warden agreed to allow it in a 55 gallon barrel--but no pictures. So we filled the barrel up and I talked with JM and we agreed to let Boyette do the immersing. He has taught classes and even presented sermons so we took a few minutes and coached him and he did very well. It is a wonderful feeling to watch someone who you watched be added to Christ, grow and take steps like Boyette has.
We went back at about 12 and picked up Richard and Chris at San Carlos City church and said good bye to our friends there. Celine had texted and told us to meet her at Jollibee in Malasiqui, so e headed there. When we arrived she already had ordered chicken and spaghetti and a burger with pineapple juice for all of us.
After lunch and a visit we learned the mechanic was still working on the truck and we left her with Benny and headed back to Lisland. Chris and I got about an hour to cool off and get ready to go to Pao for our last worship service of the campaign. When we arrived the whole group was out to welcome us and we had a good visit and delivered 20 chairs to them for services.
We went down by the creek in the shade of a mango tree that must be 50 years old. We had over 50 present for the adult Bible Class and worship. Chris taught the class an Overview of the Bible and then I preached on, Now That You Are A Christian, What's Next? from Acts 2:42-47. There was a brisk breeze that felt wonderful to Chris and me but the Filipinos thought it was too cold:). After services, we had merienda (snacks) with the group and of course, good bye pictures. They are some wonderful salt of the earth people and we had a blast. They all were saying, "when will you and sir Chris return?" It gives you a great sense of being loved :)
We came back to the hotel and went to the room but Arlen, a school teacher, I had studied with on Thursday showed up and Chris and I had already agreed he would have the next study. After about an hour, they called me and said, "he wants to be baptized with you do it?" Of course I was excited to, and with Brenda and Chris watching he was baptized at about 9:00 PM. It was pretty special that the last baptism (I guess) of the campaign was at the same place where the campaign began with the baptism of sweet Irish a week and a half ago.
We had a shake (green mango for them) and visited for a while before they left. I have headed back to the room and now am watching The Blind Side and heading to bed. It has truly been a wonderful two weeks and God has really blessed us in this endeavor. In all of my previous trips, I know I have not been any more blessed than I have on this one! 51 baptisms and a new church planted with 35 members. I am truly a blessed man. And I get to go back to the States and see my lovely wife and family in two days. But I will as always, leave a piece of my heart here in the Philippines. I pray that each person gets a chance to be a part of a great experience like this! It'll change your life...they always do mine!

No comments:

Post a Comment